Best Sewing Machine For Beginners Review
Don’t let hesitation prevent you from beginning on those sewing projects you’ve dreamed about. Today, you can quickly find an easy-to-use sewing machine at an affordable price range. Read hints, and know when to ask for help
After half a day survey and analysis, talking with an old sewer, sewing trainers, and review rewriters, and hiring two well-skilled seamstress, Lisa, and Jane, to do a test that comparing 13 popular beginner sewing machines, we have found that SINGER 7258 Sewing Machine is the best sewing machine for most starting sewists.
Although you could pay even more on a “starter” machine with more high-end functions, we believe that you do not need to. The SINGER 7258 is basic but does all kinds of common things well.
It sewed well through a variety of materials, its stitch selector is easy to use and read, and it has plenty of intermediate functions-like Automatic Needle Threader, LED Display Screen with Automatic Stitch Length and Width, and 7 one-step buttonholes-that you will doubtless be happy sewing with it for a long time.
Table Of Contents
- Best Sewing Machine For Beginners 2020 List
- Singer | 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with 76 Decorative Stitches, Automatic Needle Threader and Bonus Accessories, Packed with Features and Easy to Use
- Brother Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i, 60 Built-In Stitches, 7 styles of 1-Step Size Buttonholes, Wide Table, Hard Cover, LCD Display and Auto Needle Threader, Beige/Blue
- Brother Sewing Machine, XM2701, Lightweight Machine with 27 Stitches, 6 Included Sewing Feet
- Recommended Products
- SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine with 600-Stitches Electronic Auto Pilot Mode, Extension Table and Bonus Accessories, Perfect for Customizing Projects
- Brother Sewing Machine, XM1010, 10 Built-in Stitches, 4 Included Sewing Feet
- Best Sewing Machines For Beginners Guide.
- Hope our selection was helpful! What did you pick?
- Amazon Top-Rated & Best Sewing Machine In 2020
- Beginner Sewing Tip On Choosing The Right Needle.
- And Finally …
Best Sewing Machine For Beginners 2020 List
Singer | 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with 76 Decorative Stitches, Automatic Needle Threader and Bonus Accessories, Packed with Features and Easy to Use
- PUSH BUTTON STITCH SELECTION: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine allows you to select the desired stitch with just a simple push of a button. Optimum settings for length, width and tension are set automatically and are customizable with adjustable stitch length and stitch width. Volts : 120V. Amps : 0.62. Watts-74
- WARRANTY: SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited Warranty , 60 Hertz
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
In 2013, The SINGER 7258 has won the Women’s Choice Award for America’s Best Home Sewing Machine.
It has been named a Consumers Digest “Best Buy” in the electronic sewing machine group, a magazine that has been helping consumers identify great values for nearly 50 years.
The SINGER 7258 computerized sewing machine was loved because of its functions, user-friendly and amazing warranty. The SINGER STYLIST 7258 sewing machine won two-time awards from Consumers Digest.
Before we continue, we must say sorry for recommending a sewing machine with such a non-authoritative study, we just want to say that our recommended sewing machine for consumers, which based on our testing data made by our prudent team.
2) Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine
Brother Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i, 60 Built-In Stitches, 7 styles of 1-Step Size Buttonholes, Wide Table, Hard Cover, LCD Display and Auto Needle Threader, Beige/Blue
- SIMPLE-TO-USE SEWING AND QUILTING MACHINE: The CS6000i sewing and quilting machine is user-friendly. The stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose your stitch
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: This quilting machine includes an automatic needle threaded that perfectly pushes thread through the needle
- ADJUSTABLE SEWING SPEED: The Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine features an adjustable stitch speed that gives you easy control
- WIDE TABLE: Designed for quilts and other larger projects, the CS6000i includes a wide table that gives you extra space. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute) : 850
- BUILT-IN FREE ARM: Doing intricate sewing projects is simple thanks to the free arm that helps sew sleeves, pant legs, and other cylindrical items
3) The Brother XM2701 Affordable Sewing Machine
Brother Sewing Machine, XM2701, Lightweight Machine with 27 Stitches, 6 Included Sewing Feet
- 70 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother CS7000i comes with 70 built-in sewing stitches including utility, quilting, decorative, heirloom stitches, and 7 auto-size buttonholes. Sew at up to 850 stitches per minute, with adjustable stitch speed for easy control
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XM2701 comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Brother XM2701 is an affordable machine that perfect for most folks as well.
Brother XM2701 is a solid frame machine that is a low price model while still sewing smoothly. Its drop-in bobbin is great for most people.
The Brother XM2701 is less than $$$; the quality is not as high as the SINGER 7258 we liked, but it is a straightforward sewing machine which can sew things such as clothes and pillowcases.
4) SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist Computerized Sewing Machine
SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine with 600-Stitches Electronic Auto Pilot Mode, Extension Table and Bonus Accessories, Perfect for Customizing Projects
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There's even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle's eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
The machine coming with an automatic needle threader and top drop-in bobbin system make sewing quicker. A computerized Sewing Machine that including 600-Stitch, Extension Table, Bonus Accessories and Hard Cover.
For when you have a bigger budget
As for this sewing machine, you really could not get a better deal for your money. The features of this machine are perfect. The fact that it includes an automatic thread cutter was enough to attract most folks to pick it.
The sewing quality is outstanding and the monograms turn out to be perfect.
The machine includes two lightings on the bed is another amazing feature that is not mentioned by most people normally.
So not only is the area where the presser foot lighted, but also the bed of this machine. It illuminates the whole bed perfectly. You normally get this feature only on luxury machines.
Changing stitches is very easy, adjusting the length and width of stitch along with tension is automatic. And you also can have a choice to adjust the setting by yourself and that is easy to do.
Brother Sewing Machine, XM1010, 10 Built-in Stitches, 4 Included Sewing Feet
- 37 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother ST371HD features 37 built-in stitches including an auto-size buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XM1010 comes with a complete set of accessories, including 4 sewing feet, 3 needles, 4 bobbins, an instructional DVD, manual and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XM1010 comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
The Brother XM1010 offers one of the best choices for basic home sewing in the market today. It is a low priced item, but it has enough quality.
For those who get used to the traditional mechanical sewing machine, Brother XM1010 with a lot of automatic features makes it a more efficient product.
The user who sews simply needs to consider what creative style the user wants to design.
Ease of use
This manual dial is helpful that keeps your stitches to be smooth, rather than a wrinkle or loose.
It is easy to operate the dial that users just turn the dial to the left to decrease thread tension, and to the right to increase.
You’ll keep the same settings of stitches for most sewing, but can enhance the tension easily as needed for the heavy-duty, and reduce for some lightweight fabrics.
Users can easily select your desired stitch via turning the dial.
Automatic, four-step buttonholes
It is easy to create buttonholes with the four-step built-in buttonhole stitch and the corresponding buttonhole foot. And use the included button fitting foot and then sew on every button.
With its brief size and carrying handy design, the Brother XM1010 sewing machine is easy to move and store.
You can easily put it on all desks or tables, for faster sewing, without the need for a special sewing table.
There is a diagram showed on the machine that you just follow it and will have your machine threaded in a short time.
Built-in free arm
It is perfect for sewing pant legs, sleeves on clothing, and other small items.
It includes some very useful accessories like:
- Zipper foot
- Button sewing foot
- Buttonhole foot
- 3 bobbins, needle set, twin needle, screwdriver, extra spool pin, and darning plate
- Foot controller pedal
The XM1010 is suitable for moving from place to place as it is small and lightweight.
It is easy to move at the same time due to its handy design and less force is needed to carry it from one place to another. Even a child can carry it easily.
This sewing machine is an excellent one for beginners who will fully enjoy it. It will be a nice decision to purchase this machine as it comes with a great warranty.
Best Sewing Machines For Beginners Guide.
Buying sewing machines for beginners can be quite complicated. For one, you do not want to buy one that is too advanced, for it may prove to be difficult to use for someone who is only starting to learn the ropes of sewing.
However, you should avoid sticking to the most basic model, because their specs can be quite limited.
The secret in buying sewing machines for beginners and those who are only starting to sew lies in striking the perfect balance between functionality and style, both elements of which ranks high among the things that you should consider in making your choice.
Here are some tips that you may use in buying sewing machines for beginners.
Use them to help you choose the best one out of the hundreds of choices that you have in the market.
With these considerations in mind, you should be able to pick the model that will work best for you, out of all the different choices available to you.
The first thing that you should do in picking out sewing machines for beginners is the purpose of which it will be primarily used. It is best to jot down the different reasons that you have for buying the machine.
The different types of sewing machines for beginners in the market are designed for different functions. Choosing one that will work well for the main purpose of buying them will help you get the most value for your money.
Price & Features
There are also different questions that you need to ask yourself before you set out to buy sewing machines for beginners, the most important ones concerning the price and the features of the machine.
If you are only starting in the field, you need to ensure that you will buy a machine that has the right number of features.
Buying one that has too many may be too complicated to use while buying one that has limited features will hamper your sewing techniques as well.
Ask for advice from more experienced sewers, so that you will be able to make the best decision possible when it comes to purchasing for beginners.
Hobby Or Career?
If you are thinking about making a career out of sewing, then it will be best if you invest in a relatively costlier machine. This way, you can ensure that you will buy one that will last you a decent number of years.
If you are considering making it a hobby, however, it will be best if you stick to the cheaper models.
Since you will be using it sparingly, the need for you to have one that can withstand intense sewing projects is not that pressing and that is when sewing machines for beginners are the ideal choice.
When choosing from available sewing machines for beginners, make sure that the machine has the following features: good zigzag and straight stitch mechanisms, a decent buttonhole function, adjustable pressure footer, and a zero to six stitch length range.
These are the primary features that you will need to improve your sewing skills, and having a machine that has all of them will make your learning experience much simpler especially if you are buying sewing machines for newbies.
Hope our selection was helpful! What did you pick?
You can always seek another more suitable machine or pick up our recommended model, the SINGER 7258, which is a more robust, durable sewing machine which we also really love.
This machine also has a heavy-duty metal frame that those sewers who are familiar with vintage metal sewing machines may like.
When studying and analyzing, we were amazed to find out that Singer and Brother which are the top sewing machine companies in the world with a long history in sewing business such as Brother is over 100 years.
They make many of all kinds of skill levels machines sold in a wide market. Our research team used lots of Brother-brand machines and Singer as well.
Our top pick, the SINGER 7258, is the machine which is great for the beginner.
If you’re just sewing some simple home projects——you just need to hem clothes, say, or sew some pillowcases——or you just want to save money, we also recommend Brother XL2600I, that you can choose for the price ranging $50-$100.
The stitch quality of Janome’s is not as beautiful as the Brother we used, but it stitches smoothly, the control dial is easy to use, and the team members who have a lot of experience all thought the machine is an awesome sewing machine to learn to use.
Amazon Top-Rated & Best Sewing Machine In 2020
Beginner Sewing Tip On Choosing The Right Needle.
Whether you’re just beginning to sew or are very experienced, it’s important to know what size needle to use in your sewing machine.
You’re going to spend time choosing a pattern, selecting a piece of fabric, and carefully cutting out your project.
You also need to take a few moments to learn about the different sizes of sewing machine needles and the fabrics for which they’re used. Turn your creative sewing ideas into beautiful realities by using the right needle for the job.
When you choose a needle size, you’ll be considering the needle’s thickness, the type of fabric you’ll be sewing, and, sometimes, different sewing techniques, as well. These simple sewing tips will help you to decide which needle to use.
Sewing machine needles are numbered, using both an American chart and a European chart.
On the American chart, needles are numbered from 8 to 19, in increments of 1.
On the European chart, they’re numbered from 60 to 120, in increments of 5.
On both charts, the lowest numbers are used for the thinnest needles.
As the numbers increase, so does the thickness of the needles. Often, needles are labeled with both an American and a European number, for example, 10/70 or 16/100.
When you’re sewing delicate fabrics such as sheer organza or chiffon, you’ll need to use fine needles, sizes 8 to 10, for straight sewing.
If you’re going to use different sewing techniques, such as machine embroidery, you might have to switch to a thicker needle.
Experiment on a scrap of fabric to determine which size needle works best.
A too-thick needle can cause puckering and thread jams, and damage the fabric. Sometimes, you might have to rethink your creative sewing ideas to find the right technique and needle size for your fabric.
Sewing machine needles numbered 11 through 13 work best for lightweight fabrics such as silk and crepe, while needles numbered 14 and 15 are suitable for medium-weight fabrics.
These include chintz, broadcloth, velvet, linen, and terrycloth. Use the highest-numbered needles, 16 through 19, for heavy fabrics such as wool, home-dec and drapery fabrics.
Another trick for successful sewing is using specialty needles when appropriate. Ball-point needles are best for sewing knits such as jersey, tricot, and spandex.
Use wedge-point needles for suede and leathers, and denim needles for canvas, cotton duck, and denim. As with regular-point needles, the type of fabric determines the needle size.
These sewing tips and tricks will help you turn your creative sewing ideas into finished projects with less guesswork and more good work.
And Finally …
Even though you can spend a lot more money on the best sewing machine for a beginner, this guide focused on these machines that are retailed for $100 to $300, as this is a very suitable entry for the beginner.
If you have never owned a sewing machine before, we recommend that you get starting from our pick(The SINGER 7258). Even though easy to use, even the simple machine may be a little daunting to the beginner.
A good instruction manual will be able to instruct you the regular operation, such as threading the needle, adjusting stitches, replacing the needle, and winding the bobbin, all that will possibly save you time.
Plus, there are often a lot of easy sewing projects or easy crafts projects on the Internet. After a new sewer gets a good beginner sewing machine. He or she can find many simple sewing projects for beginners from here.